Friday, November 20, 2009

Second Outing, Six Days, 895 Miles



"Mercedes" (my T@B) is safely parked in her space. The porta-potty has been emptied; the floor has been swept; items have been transferred into the apartment. It was a delightful 80 degrees, from 11:30-12:30, as I worked on the project. However, it was a very cold 39 degrees at 7:30 this morning. ~~ It was a foggy 55 degrees when I arrived home at 7:38 PM last night.

Returning... I pulled in to the apartment complex and parked on the grass. When my neighbors left for work, when the parking lot was empty, I maneuvered Mercedes to her space.

Earlier today I saved a number of time slots, as a draft, so I can return and develop the details regarding the recent trip. I was gone for six days, five hours--and covered 895 miles. Prior to this trip, the Eastern states suffered the after-effects from Hurricane Ida. We had over six inches of rain here in Shelby, NC. Furthermore, strong winds took a toll on trees, and limbs. Miraculously, Friday November 13th dawned bright and sunny!! The wind stopped about noon and the weather commentators promised nice weather for the weekend. At 2 PM I quickly hitched the KIA & T@B and traveled south on I-85 through South Carolina to a Wal-Mart north of Atlanta, Georgia. I do not like to drive after dark so only 177 miles that day.

Several owners of T@B trailers had planned to camp at Cloudland Canyon State Park in a remote corner of Georgia (near Chattanooga, Tennessee). Being uncertain of the weather, I did not make a reservation. Consequently, the Park was full when I arrived. I drove around and found the other T@BBers. It was almost dark and I was preparing to leave... when a Ranger came to inform me that they found a space for me. Only 166 miles driven that day.

I was directed a one of the original sites prepared by the CCC in the late 1930s. It is so small that it is mainly used for a tent site--but I was delighted that I could stay in the Park. Because the other T@BBers were in another location, I unhitched so I could drive over and enjoy fellowship around a fire circle. I got stuck in the mud!! See my old Army folding shovel next to the fender (in the shade)? Neighboring campers offered to help me but lamented that they did not have a shovel. I quickly got my shovel from under one of the bench seats. (Recently I decided to travel with it "just in case" I might need it. I've hauled that shovel around for years!! This was the first time it was used.) ~~ I didn't miss the fellowship around the fire; one of the T@BBers came to get me.

Cloudland Canyon State Park is extremely beautiful!! I didn't take any pictures of the gorge, and falls, but suggest you look at the pictures from a T@B trailer owner that visited the Park about a month prior. See Mike McFarland's photos and blog.

Everywhere we travel, owners of a T@B are approached by interested individuals. I was busy showing Mercedes to other campers. From dawn to dark, I had visitors. ~~ Sadly, by midday Sunday, the campground was almost empty. There were only four "weekenders" left on Monday morning and two of us pulled out at the same time. One... was ready to leave.

On Sunday afternoon I moved from the small campsite to a larger, nicer site.

Before 9 o'clock, on Monday morning, it was 36 degrees when I went to the restroom for a shower. To my surprise, the restroom was heated and delightfully warm. It was 51 degrees at 9:35 when I unhooked the T@B electric cord and turned off the propane. I departed at 9:45.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts with me. "Thanks"!!