Tuesday, April 13, 2010

McDonald's WiFi: I'm lovin' it !

In the days, weeks, and months ahead, I anticipate many new and interesting experiences. For the first time in years (!!) I'm in a McDonald's. I'm using their free WiFi (and drinking their "too strong" coffee). In the past, I relied on places like Panera Bread for free WiFi. Obviously, I won't have to search for WiFi locations any more!!

I spent the night in
Black Mountain, North Carolina, in the parking lot of Ingles market (a chain of grocery stores in the Southeast). When I left Shelby yesterday, at 4 o'clock, I never imagined I'd be in Black Mountain that evening!! I was headed for Asheville when I saw the sign for Chimney Rock State Park. "Let's do that" I told Lord Botetourt. But I missed the campground (if there is a campground). A road sign indicated Black Mountain was twenty miles so I headed down the narrow State highway in that direction. Last year I whizzed through the little town on one of my trips but have since learned it is a "must see." I understand it is a quaint old town with lots of cute little shops worthy of "browsing." I had been told that the The Dripolator Coffeehouse is a "must visit" but they were still closed at 6:45 (and no sign indicating when they open).

Next stop: Black Mountain Natural Foods. Later, The Biltmore Estate in Ashville, NC.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Postscript 4:20 PM Tues. 4/13/2010: Today was rather mundane as far as I'm concerned. After Black Mountain Natural Foods, I stopped at Amazing Savings for some groceries. This second establishment was the one I had heard about--organics and naturals at discount prices. Then (without browsing...) I headed for Asheville. Lost (as has frequently been the case) I saw--and followed--signs to the Grove Park Inn. Lovely to look at; definitely out of my price bracket!! A valet gave me a free prime parking spot; people came over to take pictures of the T@B. I took a quick walk through the lobby, and one terrace, and took several pictures. In front of one huge fireplace... the winning entries for a recent bird house contest.

I had planned to get on the Blue Ridge Parkway because I can find Panera Bread and the Biltmore Estate from there. The Blue Ridge Parkway was closed (heading south) but lots of signs to direct me on the detour. Eventually I was in Brevard, North Carolina, and stopped for lunch and study the map. I couldn't figure out a destination worth seeking so turned around. That blunder cost me about 80 total miles and several hours!! I'm not complaining; I have lots of time!! However, some of the route was rough and bumpy; items in the T@B were tossed into a jumbled mess. Cupboard doors came open and contents were spilled everywhere!! ~~ Back in Asheville, about 2 PM, I found a very large Walmart Super Center and drove around looking for shade. Yes, shade along the wall close to the East side of the building. Then I spent about one-and-one-half hours organizing the clutter.

At 5 PM I headed back to a McDonalds intending to upload the pictures and add this postscript to the blog. I couldn't get a WiFi connection!! At 5:30, at McDonalds, I wasn't "lovin' it" (ha). (This postscript was added, and published, at 7:30 AM 4/14/2010, at Panera Bread.)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts with me. "Thanks"!!