Sunday, November 28, 2010

Potpourri !!

I've been at Wycliffe Associates for sixteen days. I'm going to bring a few things up-to-date (perhaps **not** in chronological order).

I arranged and rearranged "stuff" during the morning while listening to worship services on Family Radio, on the Internet. Within earshot, I hung Teardrop Trailer patio lights in the track designed to attach the screen room or awning. (I should probably sell both [screen room & awning] because I can't set them up alone. I hate to ask for assistance!) I've had two packages of the patio lights and this is the first time I've opened them. Patio lights: Something else I've hauled around taking space in the KIA. Decorating Christmas trees yesterday (in the Wycliffe Associates building) inspired me to do a minimum of decorating at my T@B.

On Saturday afternoon I drove the KIA for the second time since I've been here. The first time was eight miles round trip to a Publix grocery store. Forty miles on Saturday with no destination in mind, and gasoline the only purchase. It was OK to get "a little bit lost" because I had Carmen (my Garmin GPS) to get me home. However, Carmen and I are **NOT** seeing things from the same vantage point. She constantly wants to put me on a toll route and I passionately avoid them!! Her irritating voice is constantly "recalculating"!! (I know she hates me!!)

Twice, I've been invited to join a group around an evening fire circle. Twice, I've declined. It seems I'm always on-the-go for one activity or another. Monday night there will be a potluck supper to finish the Thanksgiving Day dinner leftovers. Sunday evening, there will be a "Sing" in the clubhouse. I'm told that activities are back-to-back starting in January.

Friday, I washed my two sleeping bags in the nice large washing machines and dried in the nice large dryers. "Free!!" ~~ It was a cloudy, windy, day so not extremely hot in the T@B. I pulled towels and blankets from the area at the back of the bed and placed them in a large laundry bag. They are going "bye bye." One day soon, I'll pull things from the back of the KIA and donate them to an upcoming Wycliffe auction. Remember my struggle with the car-top carrier, in Campbellsville? I'll never use it!! "Bye bye."

In Elkhart, Indiana, at an RV accessories surplus warehouse, I bought "a back seat heater" (can be wired to our 12-volt battery). I thought I could install it in the T@B for heat while "boondocking." At the recent T@B rally, the guys told me it couldn't be done. Off it goes to the Wycliffe auction. Likewise, I'll donate the solar panel I purchased at the surplus warehouse.

I've been hauling new games from Lancaster, California (over six years)!! I have Mexican Train, Scrabble and another one or two. They have **never** been out of the little suitcase!! Time to donate them to an organization that may sell them for a few dollars?!?!

I don't plan to drive forty-plus miles to the Kennedy Space Center for the launch of Discovery. I'm told I'll be able to see the lift-off from my campsite (and not have to contend with the traffic). I find it very meaningful to be at this location for the final launch of a space shuttle. I was a secretary at NASA, at Edwards Air Force Base, when the Challenger exploded. I was back at Edwards AFB, five or six years later, to see the successful return of Endeavour (the first orbiter after the tragedy).

Campus Crusade for Christ is a near neighbor. They occupy a large area that I can see across the man-made lakes. Their international headquarters uses some of the Wycliffe volunteers.

As recently as five years ago, the surrounding area was very rural. Now there are subdivisions in every direction. I've been cautioned to cross the street carefully between the RV Park and Wycliffe Associates building. Once a dead-end street, there is now high-speed traffic.

I'm told that traffic will multiply in the future because a major hospital complex is under construction a few miles away. I did a Google search but could not identify the hospital.

The WiFi signal is remarkably strong at my site. You know how much I depend on WiFi?!?! Volunteers on other sites complain about **not** getting a signal. I am so blessed!! I'm able to listen to Family Radio over the Internet.

No cable but my little antenna works fine. I seldom watch TV but nice to have available for news.

Something to smile about: The individual bathrooms, here at the RV Park, are larger than my T@B!! The shower alone is 4 feet by 4 feet by 10 feet. That's approximately 160 cubic feet. The central area is 6.8 feet by 9.4 feet; the ceiling is 10 feet. That's approximately 639 cubic feet. Combined, the bathroom is approximately 800 cubic feet. My T@B is less than 350 cubic feet!! A little trivia; something to smile about!!



2 comments:

  1. I think I have shared with you that my two college students are active in Campus Crusade (CRU) and have served in San Diego on Summer Project. My daughter is in training to be an intern for CRU. When you mention that they're a neighbor, I had to share that news with my daughter!
    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see the link for the antenna. I had been trying to remember to ask you about that, tool. The Winny has an antenna up on the roof, but is likely behind current technology. And using the little tv like yours, and just the antenna that came on the tv, from inside the house in Exeter, I get nothing at all. I can pick up a local station or two here in the city. But so far, my attempts at using the little thing have not been very productive.

    All the pictures are GREAT!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts with me. "Thanks"!!