Friday, August 20, 2010

Greetings from Campobello Island, New Brunswick, Canada

Yesterday, two people encouraged me to leave Borders and drive to Campobello. I'll (hopefully) have details for you one day soon. (I've learned I can't always produce at the rate I would like to.) Just wanted you to know that it is a rainy day but I've visited the Roosevelt Visitor's Center and home. I'll have pictures. ~~ I'm in the little local library that offers free WiFi and won't go beyond these two paragraphs.

To my amazement, there was a T@B parked in the parking lot when I headed back toward my car--after visiting the Roosevelt home. What are the odds that two T@Bs would be on this little island at the same time?? This is a couple from Florida that does not know about the wonderful Yahoo T@B forum, and the enjoyable rallies. Hopefully I'll see them "down the road" or at a future rally.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Postscript, Saturday, August 28th, 2010: Above is the message I published that day. Below are my updated comments and pictures.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here are the words I wrote in a notebook: "Roads less traveled; greetings from Campobello Island.

"After I passed the several routes to the Schoodic Peninsula (a portion of Acadia National Park) traffic thinned and I had the highways all to myself (almost). Traffic was bumper-to-bumper from Bangor to Ellsworth. With 20/20 hindsight, I could have taken another route and made much better time. I had Coastal Route 1 in mind and failed to consult a map.

"I encountered a lot of highway construction which slowed traffic. Also an accident at Holden, Maine, had vehicles detoured down side streets. Machias is getting ready for their Wild Blueberry Festival this weekend and had both construction and tourist.

"By the time I was parked in a campsite, I felt I had been beaten today!! First, I fought the Internet connection(s) at Borders. Two people encouraged me to abandon the blog and go to Campobello--so I did.

"I felt inclined to turn off U.S. 1 and follow signs to West Quoddy Lighthouse State Park. I was disappointed because 'no camping' but nice to see. It is the Easternmost point in the United States.

"The Lighthouse Visitor's Center closed at 5:00 PM and tourist' quickly left the parking lot. I pulled forward for a picture and took care of a housekeeping chore (dumped the porta-potty).

"When I crossed the bridge into Canada, my trip mileage turned 4,300 miles. Honest!! The sun was too bright, and wrong angle, so I didn't get a good picture of the bridge.

"I drove numerous miles back and forth before I found the Herring Cove Provincial Park campground. (The Visitor's Center was closed when I arrived on the Island.) I stopped at a market for a couple of items so I could inquire. I didn't find a town and I didn't see any business establishment other than the market."

The Roosevelt International Park (seen on Friday, Aug. 20th) is "free"--what a treat!! It is very attractive and I enjoyed the visit. The flowers in the garden were spectacular!!

A guide book says: "Tour the Roosevelt summer home, a truly impressive residence with 34 rooms--not your average summer cottage."










No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts with me. "Thanks"!!