Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Greetings from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Two "firsts": First time in Ottawa, and first time to use WiFi in Starbucks. I rarely patronize Starbucks because (IMHO) their coffee is "too strong." Perhaps Starbucks is a WiFi resource I've overlooked?!?! While parked in a Wal-Mart last night, I inquired where I might find WiFi: "Just around the corner...."

I had a "white knuckle ride (drive)" through Montreal yesterday. It was 1 o'clock and the information signs said traffic was flowing "fluid" (smooth). I wonder what congestion would be like. Two-hundred seventy-three miles traveled "Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart."

I was extremely glad to get to Ontario, Canada, where signs are in both English and French. Even with two-and-one-half years living in Paris, France (over fifty years ago), I struggled to understand the language.

It was HOT yesterday!! The KIA was hot inside (because I don't drive with air conditioning). The thermometer said 88 degrees inside the T@B when I opened it up at 4:35. A few minutes later (5:15) the thermometer read 93 degrees outside.

One noteworthy event: I saw another T@B, at 1:45 PM, Eastbound on the Trans-Canada highway 40, West of Montreal. It was a White T@B with Gray trim. I've seen four T@Bs in eleven days.

Because of the heat, I went to bed early last night. I had windows open but 90 degrees inside at 7:20. I stripped down to a thin nightgown, and didn't reach for a light-weight cotton sheet-blanket until early morning. I'm sure I went right to sleep; I was exhausted from Montreal traffic!! I awoke with a leg cramp--at 11 o'clock--and it was still 81 degrees inside. Another cramp at 12:15, and 80 degrees inside.... Seventy-six degrees at 5:00 AM when I got up.

I'm not sure how far I'll drive today.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Footnote: Getting ready to leave Starbucks at 10 o'clock. I learned something this morning: Starbucks WiFi is FAST!! I was able to upload pictures (for East Quoddy Lighthouse - afternoon & evening) at warp speed!! So my computer is not the problem.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lorraine. If you are still hot, come to Newfoundland. It is PERFECT here and the scenery and the people are unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's heading in the wrong direction for Nfld, but I'll second your nomination on the friendly folks who live there. I have very fond memories of my days in Argentia, and still have friends there.

    What an adventure you're having, Lorraine! Montreal has some lovely spots from recent articles I've seen. I don't remember much from being there as a youngster. Wish I was along for the ride in real, but enjoying your blog!
    D

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts with me. "Thanks"!!