Thursday, May 5, 2011

Greetings from Tallahassee, FL

My volunteer activities have taken a brief twist. I'm traveling with a Banquet speaker to several locations in the "pan handle" of Florida. Presenting the need for volunteers is of vital importance to the life-blood of Wycliffe Associates. All over the United State, banquets are taking place. This banquet speaker is a co-worker that served in Africa for many years. She has a deep love for Africa, and would have remained. However, her husband did not survive a tragic incident so she, and their sons, had to return.

Attending a banquet for the first time (April 1st) enlarged my understanding of the process. One of my earliest tasks--back in November--was to phone people who attended a banquet and checked a box affirming their interest in volunteering. Since mid-November, I have made calls--and used the computer to document necessary information about that individual. Frankly, at this time (during this week) I should be two (or three) people!! I should be at my computer--at the Wycliffe Associates building in Orlando--doing data entry!! Instead, I am at a computer in the lobby of a Comfort Inn, in Tallahassee, Florida. (FYI: I did not bring my laptop. This is a working vacation [LOL] .)

In a few minutes (about 3 o'clock) three of us will begin setting up our displays, equipment, etc. About 10 o'clock we fold, box, crate, etc., and load all into the van. (That may take an hour, or more.) In the morning we depart for another location. Tomorrow's banquet will be the last for this season, for the Southeast. Then we go back to our customary jobs.

On the humorous side: I've taken two baths on this trip. The first time in over thirteen months that I've had a bath!! (LOL) Let's face it; you don't find bathtubs in RV parks or State Parks.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful opportunity for a change of pace! D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wayne and DeborahMay 5, 2011 at 11:33 PM

    Coooooooooooool, keep up the great work and blog

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts with me. "Thanks"!!