Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Conversation on a gloomy day

I'm beginning to sound like a broken record: "I'm back in Barnes & Noble...." After rain off-and-on for twelve hours, it is nice to have a dry place to retreat to. Yes, the T@B is dry but I don't have the pleasure of free WiFi. Even if I could pick up a signal in the parking lot, I need electricity to keep my laptop going.

I was "up" at 6:55; 71 degrees. Not raining (at that time) but dark and cloudy, no sunshine. I heard birds singing as early as 4 o'clock. Surprisingly, five other vehicles in the parking lot overnight. Maybe owners live in the nearby apartments? Maybe employees at the adjacent hotel? So I enjoyed an undisturbed second night in Barnes & Noble parking lot.

It was 7:45 (last night) when I returned to the trailer. Seventy-nine degrees inside; just beginning to rain. (It's good I got back when I did so I could close the roof vent.) I had been in Barnes & Noble since 9 o'clock documenting my visit to the
Shelburne Museum. However, the last two hours were a rendezvous ordained by my Heavenly Father. It is my daily prayer that I will be exactly where God wants me at any given moment. A casual question on my part: "Is there a good place to eat within walking distance?" turned into a time of sharing and caring with a Christian sister. At times like this, I am so encouraged to continue to travel "by faith." My Heavenly Father has this trip planned and I just have to listen to "the Navigator." Every day is "Father's Day" because of my relationship with Him!!

At 8:55 last night I wrote this note: "Raining lightly; 77 degrees inside. It's early for 'going to bed' but nothing else I can do. When I'm 'in bed' at an early hour, I use the time to pray for the needs of friends and the health of shut-ins. There's a saying I saw on a Church marquee: 'More things are wrought by prayer than this world dreams of.'"

I'm frequently asked:
"Where are you going next?" I imagine people think I'm a bit crazy when I say I haven't an itinerary. Often, a person living in the area will suggest "Oh, you ought to visit such-'n-such." I've visited places I might have missed if (example) AAA planned the trip. I wouldn't have taken the cruise on the Erie Canal (at Lockport, NY); I would have missed Taughannock Falls (near Ithaca, NY); I would have missed The Wild Center (at town of Tupper Lake, NY). At the suggestion of a tour guide at Shelburne Museum, I'm going to head for the Village of Stowe. That is the location of the famous Von Trapp Family Lodge. The Sound of Music Von Trapp family!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
3:00 PM and still a dark, gloomy day. No rain for several hours. We had an earthquake at 1:45 PM. Amazing!! The building was shaking; I was the only one that knew what was happening; an earthquake is unheard of in Vermont!!

About 4 o'clock a new arrival (in my corner of Barnes & Noble) said the quake was in Quebec, and a magnitude of 5.5. I don't have access to television coverage. I'll have to read about it in the newspaper(s) tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts with me. "Thanks"!!