Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Kentucky "Konfusion"

Kan't Komprehend!! Kapability of kautious Kaliforian klearly konfusing!! ~~ After a "krazy" play on words, the fact remains that I got hopelessly lost on Kentucky secondary highways. Frankly, two of the least enjoyable days of my six month travels.

I left Panera Bread, in Lexington, at 11:20 AM Tuesday en route to the Galilean Children's Home. That was seventy-three miles. I was shown the Angel House, and Blessing House, and introduced to the residents being cared for. I was free to roam the area but felt "konfusion" (confusion) because I didn't sense that anyone "kared" (cared) whether I was there or not. The Galilean Home advertised on their web site that they need mature women volunteers. I'm a mature woman ready to volunteer but nobody questioned my reason for the visit. My camp trailer in the parking lot should have been a beacon advertising my availability?!?! I was wearing a long skirt and dressed modestly; I would have passed for a Mennonite if I'd been wearing a covering over my hair. ~~ I was heavy-hearted as I drove away and questioned my Heavenly Father about why He directed me to that remote location. Very remote!!

I turned left on the State route (when I should have turned right) and became hopelessly lost. I couldn't even locate my position on the Atlas because I was looking East of Liberty, Kentucky, and I was West of Liberty. When all else fails, try to find a Wal-Mart. Carmen (my Garmin GPS) took me to Danville, sixty-nine miles from the Galilean Home. I saw far more of rural Kentucky than I planned!! As I said, not a memorable day. Correction: Memorable but not pleasant!!

I slept well in the parking lot of a busy Wal-Mart SuperCenter with lots of traffic nearby. Also with my refrigerator running all night. I was up at 6:00 this morning; it was 55 degrees inside the T@B. I'm ashamed to admit (but I'll confess) I made another wrong turn leaving the Danville Wal-Mart. I was positive I wanted to drive East. It was dark when I departed at 6:40, and I encountered lots of commuter traffic. Soon I was on narrow roads and engulfed in fog. It was scary!! Finally, an eerie sunrise about 7:50. I couldn't stop to take pictures of the fog that bathed the landscape and the sun casting light and color on the scene. Beautiful but eerie.

I was frustrated to find myself back in Lexington--during morning commute!! I had stopped several times to consult my Atlas. My sense of direction was hopelessly wrong!! As I said earlier
"When all else fails, try to find a Wal-Mart." Actually, eventually, I asked Carmen for "Campbellsville, Kentucky, Amazon.com" and was delivered to their doorstep.

The Garmin GPS tells me that the Galilean Home is twenty-six miles away. I drove a total of 205 miles (yesterday and today) from point A to point B. The Danville Wal-Mart (where I spent the night) is 37.7 miles away. I drove 136 miles today.

Can you get a sense of my "Kentucky Konfusion"?? Now you understand my opening comment: "Kan't Komprehend!! Kapability of kautious Kaliforian klearly konfusing!!" Translation: Can't comprehend!! Capability of cautious Californian clearly confusing!!










No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts with me. "Thanks"!!