Thursday, October 8, 2009

Contrast

I once heard a joke about a Volkswagen Beetle and a Cadillac. As they traveled down the highway, the Cadillac said to the VW "What's that rattle that I hear?" The VW said "All my money rolling around in the trunk." ~~ I couldn't resist recreating that story with this illustration. Yes, that is a Prevost that carries a price tag that takes my breath away. Furthermore, I'd probably have a heart attack when I saw the bill for one tank of gas. However, it's possible that I have money to travel--with Mercedes--while the Prevost drives the owner to the poor house.

I had pulled off the Interstate--at a
Cracker Barrel--to check my map, and stretch my legs. A man approached me and commented on my cute little trailer. Could he see it? "Of course, would you like to see the inside?" He stepped inside and set at the dinette. We talked for a few minutes. Suddenly he said: "I want to give you something; wait a minute."

The man disappeared into the Prevost and (impulsively) I followed him. I had never been in a Prevost and I found it as beautiful on the inside as on the outside!! I was handed a CD. The musical group travels comfortably in this giant motorhome. As we parted, he said "I'm
Levon Helm." (As evidenced by my previous blog, I am more familiar with the Christian theme than Rock. With 20/20 hindsight, I wish I had known who he was so I could have been enthusiastic about our meeting.)

Wikipedia has a lengthy biography on Mark Levon Helm. I've copied a portion here.

Mark Lavon Helm (born May 26, 1940), better known as Levon Helm, is an American rock musician and actor most famous as the drummer (and often vocalist) for the rock group The Band. Helm is known for his deeply soulful, country-style voice, and powerful drumming style highlighted on many of the The Band's recordings, such as "The Weight", "Up on Cripple Creek", "Ophelia" and "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down". His 2007 comeback album Dirt Farmer earned the Grammy Award for Best Traditional Folk Album in February 2008, and in November of that year, Rolling Stone Magazine ranked him #91 in the list of The 100 Greatest Singers of All Time.[1]

Dirt Farmer and After
Fall 2007 saw the release of Dirt Farmer, Helm's first studio solo album since 1982. Dedicated to Helm's parents and co-produced by his daughter Amy, the album combines traditional tunes Levon recalled from his youth with newer songs (by Steve Earle, Paul Kennerley and others) which flow from similar historical streams.

The album was released to almost immediate critical acclaim, and earned him a Grammy Award in the Traditional Folk Album category for 2007.

Helm declined to attend the Grammy Awards ceremony, instead holding a "Midnight Gramble" and celebrating the birth of his grandson, named Lavon (Lee) Henry Collins—Levon's birth name is Mark Lavon Helm and he was called by "Lavon" (luh VAHN)[5] until other members of Ronnie Hawkins's band started calling him "Levon" (LEE vahn) because they found "Lavon" hard to pronounce.[6][7][8]

In 2008 Levon Helm performed at Warren Haynes' Mountain Jam Music Festival in Hunter, NY. Helm played alongside Warren Haynes on the last day of the three-day festival. Levon also joined Bob Weir & Ratdog on stage as they closed out the festival.

Levon Helm performed to great acclaim at the 2008 Bonnaroo Music Festival in Manchester, Tennessee, held June 12-15.[9][10]

Helm drummed on a couple of tracks for Jorma Kaukonen's February, 2009 album, River of Time, recorded at the Levon Helm studio.

Helm released Electric Dirt on his own label on June 30, 2009.[11]

He performed on the Dave Letterman show on July 9, 2009.

He is touring, in a supporting role, with the Black Crowes in 2009



~~~~~~~~~~
I'm not the only one to make a comparison between a T@B and Prevost. Watch this video on YouTube.
For your amusement, another video on YouTube.
~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~
To follow my trip chronologically click Berea, Kentucky.
~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts with me. "Thanks"!!