Thursday, July 1, 2010

Greetings from Dedham, Massachusetts

Another day filled with adventure. I am in another Panera Bread. I am so extremely grateful for Panera--and free WiFi.

My "adventure"--today--with
Panera involved pulling in to a parking lot--in Arlington--to discover no circle drive. So I had to back up ten (or more) car lengths. I had a lady blocked and when I apologized, and said I had planned to park and visit Panera, she said they were closed due to plumbing problems.

Earlier, I could plainly see there was no pull-through parking at the
AAA office in Lowell, Massachusetts, and had to drive to the end of the street. It was a narrow street that dead-ended at a narrow cross street. I turned left, "expertly" backed up, turned left again, and returned to AAA and parked on the street adjacent to the building. More about that later.

From
Panera in Arlington, I asked Carmen (my Garmin) for Barnes & Noble. I was sent a few miles to nearby Belmont. I believe it takes the "patience of Job" to drive the narrow, winding streets in these Massachusetts towns!!! Up one hill, down another, around this curving street, through an old downtown shopping area. I did not see a recognizable sign for Barnes & Noble. With several loops through an old section of town, I found public parking. A couple of loops around the parking lot and I found a place to pull through for both vehicles. I walked through Macy's to the street and walked both directions looking for Barnes & Noble. When all else fails, ASK!! I stepped into an establishment called Bruegger's, studied the menu, and ordered an old standby: whole grain bagel, cream cheese, hazelnut coffee (exactly what I order at Panera). I asked where Barnes & Noble is hiding. "They moved." I explained that I travel... and use their free WiFi. "We have free WiFi." It was 11:40 as I took my bagel and coffee to the T@B planning to grab the laptop.

Between 11:45-12 noon I had a nice conversation with "John"--a law enforcement officer at the parking lot. First I asked if I should pay for two spaces, and 2nd, if I could park overnight with properly-paid-for-parking-tickets on the dash of the car. John called "central dispatch" and was told (and I heard the reply) "OK, but have to be out at 7 AM." I commented that defeated my purpose because I wanted to leave the car and trailer--and take public transportation (the train) into Boston for sightseeing. I said "I want to be on the Esplanade for the Fourth of July concert and fireworks." That statement evoked a reply that it is a horror story to make that trek. "You are a very courageous lady!!" I was informed that people have already begun to assemble!! (This was only the morning of July first!!) John didn't intend to scare me but said my safety was at risk. So--with sadness--I have to be cautious about where I go.

12:15 and a lady stopped to admire the T@B (as I was handwriting the above comment). Likewise, when she heard my plans, she said "Kids are robbing people at the train stations. Old people aren't safe." So my question is: "Where do I go from here?" Another bit of info from my recent lady visitor: "It will be over 100 degrees at the Cape next week and very humid. You would be better off in Maine." (I don't make these things up!! I started handwriting this paragraph moments after the words were uttered.)

I could go back to
Bruegger's and use their free WiFi; I could buy fruit and veggies at the Farmer's Market right there in the parking lot. ~~ I spent fifteen or twenty minutes studying a map and checking Garmin (GPS). 1:45 PM--with fruit and veggies--I left for Panera in Dedham. Seventy-nine degrees inside the T@B.

Now, to back up to the beginning of the day: Brilliant sunshine when I awakened at 6:15. Actually "daylight" since before 5 but I had covered my head. I didn't want to get up; I was so comfy in bed. A cool 58 degrees inside the T@B. So-o-o-o-o much noise on the nearby major highway: Massachusetts Route 2--like an Interstate freeway.

8:15 and I was ready to leave the Wal-Mart parking lot at Hudson. My AAA membership expired yesterday so I knew I should seek a triple-A office. Gratefully, they come up in a search on the Garmin GPS. I was at the Lowell office before 9 o'clock--waiting for them to unlock the door. I was greeted with "We love your little trailer." I renewed my membership; I was given a map for the Boston area; I was given an armload of guidebooks. It was suggested that I go to Arlington where I could park the vehicles and use public transportation in to Boston. The information made sense to me; initiating the details became a problem (as you have read).

A total of 53 miles so far today. With the variety of major stores near this Panera, I'm sure there is a Wal-Mart a stone's throw away. Another night in a Wal-Mart parking lot, whoopee!! ~~ Pictures in the parking lot at Belmont. Fresh mixed greens for salad, tomatoes, zucchini squash, and cranberry-pecan whole grain bread.

It is 5:55 PM as I publish this. I had the wonderful-tasting salad greens--and the bread--for my supper (in the T@B). There are Nasturtium flowers mixed with the greens!! I've heard that they are delicious in a salad. They are!!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts with me. "Thanks"!!