Monday, July 26, 2010

Plimoth Plantation

I believe it was only six miles from the Plymouth Wal-Mart shopping center to Plimoth Plantation. "Carmen" said "left" but I only saw the ocean. I continued to drive and finally found a place to turn around. It was fourteen miles total but seemed like thirty!!

I left Panera at 10:35 but didn't arrive at
Plimoth Plantation until about 11:35. Traffic was almost at a standstill on Massachusetts State Route 3 headed for Cape Cod. So I took an off-ramp and ended up driving the narrow, busy main street of Plymouth. The signals were timed so only a couple of cars through intersection at a time. Terrible traffic congestion!!

At Plimoth Plantation, I found a parking spot with shade but discovered I couldn't open the trailer door due to tree limbs. The nice folks that arrived just before me moved their car so I could pull forward and access the T@B door. (Nice folks.) I fixed lunch before entering Plimoth Plantation. (Food at tourist attractions is so expensive!!)

Admission to Plimoth Plantation--and
Mayflower II--was less if bought "as a package." I was already familiar with the traffic "downtown" and thought I'd probably NOT find a parking place. $22. for this Senior to walk around in a self-guided tour of the (recreated) Wompanoag (Native American) village, and first English settlers homes, and (of course) gift shops.

I talked to a Staff member (riding around in a golf cart). He recommended taking the Shuttle bus to the Mayflower II.
"Ask the ladies at the admissions desk for a bus schedule." ~~ My timing was perfect; I couldn't have planned it any better!! ~~ A "Trolley" pulled up and I learned it is a sightseeing tour. So--for $10.00--I climbed aboard. It was worth every penny to NOT drive those narrow streets. My only complaint (?!): I couldn't understand half the driver's words. He had the distinctive Massachusetts accent!!

I could have gotten off at several locations and back on later but just stayed on the trolley. I took a picture of the Mayflower II but really didn't want to pay to walk through it. Even at a distance, I could see that the ship had a crowd of people on it.

Nor did I get off at
"Plymouth Rock." It's not authentic so why waste my time?! I took a picture from the trolley. the small "rock" is under that white pillared structure.

I'm confident that the museums, churches, historic old buildings, etc., are well worth visiting. I'm just weary of traffic and congestion!! On the positive side: This speaks well of the tourist industry. The economy is making a slow recovery. People are taking trips and spending money for gas, food, lodging and attractions.

Sadly, more people should
"Go RVing." When I arrived at Wompatuck State Park (at 4:25) there was no problem getting a campsite. Recreation vehicles were driving past my site until dark. In conversation with the Camp Host, I learned this Park is never full.
































No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts with me. "Thanks"!!