Sunday, December 13, 2009

Public Broadcasting System programming

Last night, a beautiful program on the Public Broadcasting System: Andrea Bocelli, My Christmas. It was spectacular!! One song (The Lord's Prayer) was particularly meaningful: Andrea with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. My travels have taken me to Salt Lake City, Utah, for genealogical research. I spent several nights sleeping in my van, in a parking lot near Temple Square. I could see the magnificent lighting on the Temple. I sat in the gallery of the Tabernacle during a Sunday morning radio-TV broadcast. While Bocelli was singing... I could re-experience sitting in the Tabernacle.

A couple of hours later, the sixth episode of Ken Burns
The National Parks, America's Best Idea. How privileged we are to have the Parks available to us!! I've visited many of the Parks but learned of some I didn't know existed. It was dejavu when the pictures, and narrative, were focused on the surge of tourists to Yellowstone National Park in 1948. That year, my parents took the family on a month-long road trip that included Yellowstone, Glacier, Jackson Hole, Bryce, Zion, and everything in between Oregon and Yellowstone. I remember floating on the Great Salt Lake. Because the exceptionally high salt content makes the water incredibly buoyant, the favorite snapshot had a family member "sitting" in the Lake reading a newspaper.

I've been on that gravel road, at Denali, in Alaska. Last night I heard the story of the fight to stop the construction of paved roads in that National Park.

Watching
The National Parks, America's Best Idea, I am re-energized to visit more of our Parks with my wonderful little T@B trailer. You too??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts with me. "Thanks"!!