Friday, November 20, 2009

Christmas at the Biltmore Estate

I intentionally drove out-of-my-way to revisit Asheville, North Carolina. I wanted to see the Christmas lights at the Biltmore Estate . I've seen TV commercials and documentaries depicting the beautiful lights and decorations. I purchased a 365-day pass to the Biltmore Estate on my previous visit (in August).

After two days of off-and-on rain, Thursday, November 19th dawned with clear skies and bright sunshine. I checked the thermometer several times during the night and it was always 54 degrees. I was delightfully warm inside a sleeping bag, inside a sleeping bag!! ~~ I had my customary whole grain bagel, veggie cream cheese and Hazelnut coffee while checking e-mail messages. I was in Panera from 7:30 until 10:45 AM. Then across the street at Earth Fare market until after 1:00 PM. I don't have an organic food store like Earth Fare or Whole Foods near me. I browsed every aisle; I spent $127.88 !!! Earth Fare has a wonderful deli, and cafe, but too expensive for my budget. I bought a pint of Three Bean Vegetarian Chili for $4.95 and enjoyed it in my T@B (enough Chili for two meals). It was a beautiful afternoon; inside Mercedes was 89 degrees; outside... was 67 degrees (according to a thermometer at a Bank across the street).

Confession: I turned the wrong direction when headed for the Biltmore Estate. That cost me extra time and gasoline!! (Some of my readers have suggested that I need a GPS.)

The Christmas decorations at the Biltmore Estate are as exquisite as depicted in advertisements. No photography allowed inside. However, no restrictions in the gift shops. Here are three beautifully decorated trees. Watch a Biltmore video.



The sun was setting as I left the Estate after 5:00 PM. The parking lot was full of cars with visitors who paid megabucks for a candlelight dinner, and tour. I'm sure they experienced an evening described with superlatives.

It was 51 degrees at 6:00 PM, with a cold wind. Perceiving that it would be a cold night in the mountains, I didn't want to experience an extremely cold night in the T@B. So, I filled the tank with gasoline and headed for Shelby. (I live exactly 86 miles from the Biltmore Estate.) I arrived home at 7:38 PM. I had driven 895 miles during the preceding week. Only 101 miles on Thursday, November 19th.

It was a crisp, foggy, 39 degrees in
Shelby (elevation: 869 ft) at 7:30 AM Friday, November 20th. I can only imagine how cold it was in Asheville (elevation: 2,134 ft).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts with me. "Thanks"!!