Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Greetings from Asheville, NC

Just a note. I arrived at Panera, in Asheville, just a few minutes ago. I've put 794 miles on the car and T@B on this trip.

First: To Cloudland Canyon State Park in a remote corner of Georgia--near Tennessee. I joined a Georgia couple with a T@DA, and a Florida lady with a T@B. I did not make a reservation so I had no place to camp. I was able to drive around and find the T@BBers. While enjoying a nice conversation with the solo lady, a Park Ranger came to advise me that they found a spot for me. ~~ Two nights. The Park is awesome!!

Second: Monday morning--preparing to leave--I did not have stop lights and turn signals on the T@B. It was what I call "a white knuckle" ride all the way to the outskirts of Atlanta. So, so scary to navigate the many lane changes, etc., etc.!!!!!! RVers (at Cloudland) told me of an RV Sales and Service near Stone Mountain. And Stone Mountain was my intended next stop. I arrived safely at Peco Campers at 3:00 PM and had to make an appointment for the next day.

Third: I was following directions I printed from MapQuest and probably drove an extra twelve or thirteen miles to Stone Mountain Park. (I've really helped the economy this trip: I've driven many extra miles so extra gasoline purchases.) There was a $10. fee just to enter the Park. Then $33. at the campground. I'll go in to more detail when I have more time to develop these messages. BAD EXPERIENCE at Stone Mountain Campground!!

Fourth: Tuesday morning--at Peco Campers--my electrical problems were solved. Now my stop lights and turn signals conform to U.S. standards. I'm sure that amber stop lights were confusing to drivers trying to understand my maneuvers. Bye, bye German signals!! ~~ I spent about $100. in the RV store. For one thing, I needed a new stool. (I foolishly drove off and left mine when I was showing the T@B to an interested lady, in a service station.) And I found the Retro T@B outdoor lights. And Damp-Rid... because the members on the Yahoo forum recommended it. Plenty of time to browse while my T@B was being repaired.

Fifth: Back to Stone Mountain Park because I couldn't spend $43. and not even see the giant carving on the mountain. Considering the amount of money I spent at Peco Campers, I didn't pay $9. to visit the museum. I walked around and enjoyed as much as I could for free.

Sixth: Another "white knuckle ride" trying to find my way out of the Atlanta area. I didn't want to backtrack to I-285 to get to I-85 so I tried state routes. Got lost!! Many extra miles and horrible traffic. I was utterly exhausted when I arrived at a Wal-Mart in Commerce, Georgia. I was in bed at 7:30 PM and slept comfortably for almost eleven hours.

Seventh: Today!! I didn't gas-up in Georgia because I know gas is cheaper in South Carolina. When I stopped at the SC Visitor's Center I was encouraged to take State Route 11 toward Asheville. It's the Cherokee Heritage Trail (or something historic and/or scenic) but I was told "no towns along the route." So I burned up a lot of my remaining quarter-tank of gasoline trying to find a station. First: Fairplay where the pumps had been removed from the one-and-only (Marathon) station. Finally, twenty or more miles further, I had a full tank of gasoline and was en route. I love the back roads; I hate the Interstates!! ~~ I love the Blue Ridge Parkway and pulled on to it for ten or fifteen miles en route to Panera. Frankly, that's the only way I know how to find Panera!! I have trouble finding my way around the spider-web of highways in Asheville!! ~~ I have permission to spend the night in the parking lot of Panera.

Eighth: I want to see the Christmas lights at the Biltmore Estate tomorrow. I've seen TV commercials and documentaries depicting the beautiful lights and decorations. I purchased a 365-day pass to the Biltmore Estate on my previous visit (during the summer). ~~ I don't have concrete plans after Biltmore. Maybe I'll take the Blue Ridge Parkway to Linville Falls and then head south to Shelby?!?!

I've had rain the last two days. I'm hoping for beautiful sunny days.

More later.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Postscript, 8:30 AM, 11/19/09: A beautiful, sunny morning!! I slept comfortably in the parking lot of Panera. I checked the themometer several times during the night and it was always 54 degrees. I was delightfully warm inside a sleeping bag, inside a sleeping bag!! ~~ I'm having my bagel and coffee, and checking for messages.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 comments:

  1. Lorraine,

    Pick up a Garmin GPS from TigerDirect.com for about $100. The maps a a littler out of date, but only housing tracts change, and you will save many hours of wasted time and more than a few tanks of gas, not to mention the confidence of knowing you won't be lost again!

    http://tinyurl.com/ylfzglg


    God Bless!

    Cliff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cliff, for the advise. I've been seriously considering a GPS. ~~ In spite of getting lost, and burning extra gasoline, I have been "God blessed" on this trip!!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts with me. "Thanks"!!