Thursday, March 3, 2011

Important Date !!

For several months (in my tiny T@B), I have enjoyed old TV programs like The Waltons and Little House on the Prairie. I was particularly moved by one presentation of Little House. Laura said "We oughta have a funeral while we're still alive so we can say 'goodbye' to everybody." An old lady, approaching her eightieth birthday, heard the comment and saw an opportunity to motivate her children, and grandchildren, to come and see her. Reluctantly, the Ingles' family prepared a Wake; the doctor sent telegrams to the offspring. There was shock and indignation (at the Wake) when Mother threw off her black veil. All ended happily with a birthday cake, fiddle music, and dancing.
Today is my birthday and (over the weeks since the TV drama) I mused about planning a similar ruse. But I want my children and grandchildren to come visit because they really want to see me. It breaks my heart that I am not important to them!! My situation is not unique; I talk to many Seniors who are likewise estranged from their children and grandchildren. We "old folks" remember a different era. We can identify with a family circle like The Waltons.

5 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY LORRAINE

    Enjoy this beautiful day the Lord has made.

    Love and Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, Lorraine. The family is a lost form these days :( I know it bring great pain. Praying for you. Thinking of you on the day of your birth when the Lord blessed the world with your arrival.
    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't see you being dishonest like that, but I think we've all, or at least those of us realizing our age, have all wondered what our funeral might be like. LOL, I'd like to pick out some decent music for mine. D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday, Lorraine! I am sorry that you are not close to your family, but there are others that care about you and pray for you. Many times you are in my thoughts. I wonder how you are and what you are doing. I admire your strength, courage, your faith and your sense of humor. I'm sure many others do too. I know that God is smiling down on you and wishing you a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sincere THANKS to my friends who sent birthday greetings!!!!! Asking God's richest blessing on you, and yours!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts with me. "Thanks"!!