Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Christmas Shoe Boxes for Samaritan's Purse

It's that time of year: Time to start preparing shoe boxes for Samaritan's Purse. I was shopping--at K-Mart--for small items. Prior to that, I was shopping in a Christian Thrift Shop for suitable things.

No, I wasn't buying for myself!! In fact, I'm making progress "downsizing." I delivered five boxes of much miscellaneous to the Christian Thrift Shop.

This past weekend I sent several boxes of audio tapes, and VHS tapes, to new locations. It had been suggested that the local prison could use the audio tapes of great sermons, and Bible studies. ~~ A mother--with seven children--was delighted with a Banker's Box full of "G" movies (Little House on the Prairie, Christy, Long Long Journey, etc.). ~~ A chrome, 3-shelf, stand may resolve a widow's storage problem?! ~~ Other advertised things were never claimed. Maybe next week??

Back to the topic of Shoe Boxes: While "downsizing," I put jewelry aside for "girl" boxes. I have lots of costume jewelry I'll never wear. I have ribbons of various colors. Perhaps a little girl--in a foreign land--will be happy with her Christmas box.

I have a large box, and large tote bag, destined for the local crisis pregnancy center. I'm told the Center likes to pamper the girls with gifts. I'm sending cute stuffed animals, scarves, purses, "chunky" jewelry, toiletries, small CD player, etc.

Living "full time" in my tiny T@B travel trailer educated me in the art of survival with a minimum of "stuff." As time goes by, I plan to distribute most of the things previously stored (for sixteen months) in the PODS container. Confession: I have an affection for the things accumulated, spanning decades!! It "feels good" to donate audio tapes (of Lloyd Ogilvie sermons) to the prison. It "feels good" to share VHS tapes (some still in their original wrap) with someones grandchildren. (My grandchildren never came to visit.) It "feels good" to give stuffed animals that caught my attention in years past. It is easier to donate when I have a mental image of the destination. I'm not prepared (psychologically) to have a Goodwill, or Salvation Army, truck back up to the apartment and haul things away. That day may eventually arrive but not in August (or September) 2011. It goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway), there are many things that I hoped to give my children and grandchildren. I have **LOTS** of memorabilia: Personal items that were cherished by my parents and grandparents. (My children and grandchildren ignore my frequent attempts at reconciliation.) ~~ At this date, an unresolved question: What will I do with all the boxes of family history?? What will I do with the thousands of pictures? ~~ (Oops!! I got off-topic; the latter has nothing to do with Shoe Boxes for Operation Christmas Child.)




1 comment:

  1. My Dear, Lorraine, thank you so much for your dedication to make a difference in the lives of hurtting children around the world through simple gifts filled shoe boxes!!
    This weekend we have a big kick off event for OCC-SP at my church in Kissimmee. I wish you would be here.
    Love you, love you, my friend!!
    Milagros

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts with me. "Thanks"!!