Thursday, September 2, 2010

Little Old Lady Lost

A map of Straits State Park indicated there are two locations to view the Mackinac Bridge. With map--and camera--I headed for the nearest site. I found it, took pictures, and began to follow the trail through the woods to second location. As the pictures indicate, I encountered a wet, marshy area. Sometimes I wondered which direction the path was leading. Then I'd see a yellow spot of paint on a tree and know that was the path. Eventually I found the second observation point. Seventy-six steps and two platforms to reach the top!! (I walked down to count... and climbed up a second time. That's a real "stair climber" [ha!} rather than the simulators at a fitness facility.)

With map in hand, I started walking the paved roads toward the campsites. I saw frequent splashes of paint on the trees and believed I was going the right direction. Soon, however, I was walking past homes. I always had a sense of where the bridge was so I walked that direction expecting to find the State Park. After I hiked a hill, I saw a sign pointing the other direction for the State Park. I tried to wave down several drivers but they kept going. In a more-populated area, a lady was walking towards her car. I ran to catch her. She was vague about how I would walk back and offered to drive me. My sincere thanks to 85 years young, Eleanor Fitzpatrick, for the ride!! ~~ Back to my site at 11:33 AM. Wow, what a long walk; wish I'd had my pedometer. Eighty-one degrees inside... all closed up.

Note: Next to last picture, walking up the hill. Last picture, walking down the hill on the other side.


























1 comment:

Please share your thoughts with me. "Thanks"!!