Saturday, February 5, 2011

Depression hurts !!

Have you heard the television commercial "Depression hurts..."? Frankly, I'm very familiar with depression, and "yes" it hurts!! But I don't take prescription drugs. I volunteer--or travel so I can see our vast nation and the glories of God's beautiful creation. I refuse to sit alone having a "pity party" because I never hear from my children and grandchildren.

At the auction on Friday, Jan. 28th, I bought two books. Today seemed the appropriate time to sit in my leisure chair, in the sunshine, and start God's Remedy for Rejection, by Derek Prince. (Usually depression follows rejection.) I felt especially encouraged when I read, on pages 11-12: "Our society today is suffering from a progressive breakdown of interpersonal relationships. Quite possibly you have been caught in the crossfire, and the result has been a wound of rejection. Let me suggest, however, that you should look for a silver lining to that dark cloud. I believe the Devil has some foreknowledge. He knows God wants to use you, and he has struck his blow first. In a way it is a kind of twisted compliment. It means that Satan is afraid of what you can become in Christ. So, do not be discouraged. In my experience I have found that the people who have been the lowest often end up the highest. The scriptures tell us, 'He who humbles himself will be exalted' (Luke 18:14)."

On pages 64-65, Derek Prince writes: "God's family is the best family. There is no family quite equal to the family of God. Even if your own family did not care for you, your own [mother] rejected you, your [father] never had time for you, or your husband never showed you love, bear in mind that God wants you. You are accepted; you are highly favored; you are the object of His special care and affection. Everything He does in the universe revolves around you."

Page 67: "Perhaps you have unhappy memories of a human father. God intended every father to demonstrate what He Himself is, but many fathers have failed. Yet, you still have a heavenly Father who loves you, who understands you, who thinks the best of you, and who plans the best for you. He will never abandon you, never misunderstand you, never take sides against you, nor will He ever reject you."

~~~~~~~~~
On the television news this morning, a report about seven to twelve inches of new snow for Bangor, Maine. I was there in August; I can see the area in my mind's eye. I'm grateful to be near Orlando, Florida, where it was 84 degrees at 12 noon; 90 degrees at 2:45 PM. So-o-o-o delightful to sit outside and read, next to my tiny T@B.

~~~~~~~~~
Note: Please ignore the time stamp on this, and previous one. I wanted these three to read in sequence.

2 comments:

  1. Among other things, depression can also be a chemical imbalance. While your personal choice may be to avoid drugs, I hope you would not advocate everyone take your path and refuse them. I've seen them help, and in some cases, am sure the person could not function without them. Therapy can also be beneficial. Humbling yourself sometimes means admitting you need help.

    Sometimes it's very hard NOT to think/worry about people who have hurt you, but sometimes you have to do your best to do that so YOU can go on with life. You are blessed in many ways. Your lifestyle and your ability to travel is a blessing we all admire. D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops!! I should have added a couple of disclosure statements: (1) The thoughts are solely those of the writer, and (2) consult your medical doctor... (etc). --A case of "open mouth, insert foot."--

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts with me. "Thanks"!!