Friday, November 5, 2010

Burr, it's cold !!

Greetings from "Momsicle" (not Popsicle). I'm in warm and pleasant Panera in Asheville, North Carolina. It was 43 degrees inside the T@B when I awakened this morning (6:15). The little weather station said 37 degrees outside but "feels like 29 degrees." Before I departed, there was ice on my windshield!! I had to wait for the ice to defrost!! Where are my gloves when I need them? ~~ I spent the night in the Sam's Club parking lot. It rained almost all night!!

It has been seven-and-one-half months since I was in this Panera but the Manager and one employee recognized me. Wow, what an affirmation!! They wanted to know about my travels. I shared many of my awesome experiences with the Manager. (Thanks for listening!!)

Yesterday I was enjoying the benefit of electricity for my little ceramic heater. I was checking my e-mail, with free WiFi, from the comfort of my little T@B. I really got spoiled while staying at the KOA in Newport, Tennessee!!!! But it was time to continue my travels.

It rained almost all Wednesday night. It cleared about noon (Thursday) and I accomplished all the last-minute tasks. Gratefully, forwarded mail arrived about two o'clock so I wasn't forced to spend $35. for another night. (I'm such a "penny-pincher.")

Originally, I had planned to drive through the Great Smoky Mountains National Park to the Blue Ridge Parkway, to Asheville. Because traffic moves at a "snail's pace" in the Smokys, it was too late in the day (IMHO). I traveled US-70/US-25 (rather than Interstate 40). It was a nice two hour drive--without a lot of traffic.

Later today I'll drive to Marion, North Carolina to visit a family that "adopted" me in the Spring. Monday I plan to drive back to my former hometown, Shelby, and renew my T@B license. From Shelby, I'll head South to warmer temperatures!!

True story: In Vermont, and New Hampshire, and Maine, and New Brunswick, I would say "I love it here; it is so beautiful!!" Often I would hear: "There's an apartment for rent down the street." My answer: "I don't 'do' winters!!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Postscript, 7:30 PM, Friday: My friends ran an electric cord from the shop to my T@B. I'll have heat tonight!!! ~~ At 12:30 noon, I was in snow flurries on the Blue Ridge Parkway.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Incidently, this is the "Seven Month Anniversary" of my travels.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3 comments:

  1. Going to be 40 here in north Florida this evening. Not much different than where you are! D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should get some of those Grabbers chemical hand/foot warmers. My kids use them when tent camping and say they warm your sleeping bag real quick.
    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wooo it's cold here too. I took the T@B for her maiden voyage last weekend to St. Mary's GA and it was definitely a cold weekend. Enjoy your time in Asheville! Also...if I may suggest taking down your apology...no need to apologize any more. Your blog looks great and that message is the first thing everyone sees when the visit.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts with me. "Thanks"!!