Monday, November 15, 2010

Volunteer Service, Day One

It's 4:44 PM as I start typing this message. I've had a headache today from all the information streaming my direction. The day started before 8 o'clock with devotions in the Wycliffe Associates clubhouse. Then, there was an Orientation for the new volunteers. I don't have my assignment yet. For several hours I worked sorting postage stamps, trimming edges, and packaging. I learned that Wycliffe has "earned" over $5,000. from selling stamps to stamp dealers. Obviously many people have saved stamps and donated them to their local Churches who, in turn, send them to Wycliffe. Only two of us working on the project today but, I'm told, in a few weeks there will be fifteen to eighteen ladies in that room working with the stamps. ~~ There was some discussion about having me do data entry but, first, there is an urgent need for someone to do child care for returning missionaries. (Child care while the adults are being "debriefed.") I feel that God, my Heavenly Father, is allowing me to have an experience as "vicarious Grandmother" (thank you Lord!). I've told the administrative staff that I'm willing to do whatever needs to be done.

Everyone is so friendly!! Many of the volunteers have been coming back year after year so they quickly spot the "first timer." I ate lunch in the Cafe, at noon, and was invited to join my Lancaster, California, friends: David and Norma. (They owned a print shop that I patronized frequently.) They introduced me to a dozen other people. Is it any wonder that I've had a headache??? So many names to try to remember, and so much new information!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts with me. "Thanks"!!