Friday, May 21, 2010

Evangola State Park, New York

Ignore the date, and time stamp. I'm bringing my travels up-to-date. Written (in part) at 6:05 PM, Wednesday, May 19, 2010.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am exhausted beyond measurement!! I am in Evangola State Park and the weather is absolutely perfect. After three days on-the-road, major "housekeeping" was absolutely necessary. I had the roughest stretch of Interstate highway Tuesday (I-86) I've ever encountered. It was a washboard. New York obviously lacks funds for highway maintenance--and State Parks!! This Park is woefully neglected: Tall grass, bare minimum at each camp site, and no attendant at the entrance. I phoned first and was told to just drive in and pick any space I wanted. (She never suggested I make a reservation; that cost me $2.75.) I only see two other RVs.

I arrived about 3:25 and (tired as I am) started moving things to the weathered, old, picnic table. The rough roads jiggled everything forward. Things off the bed, and benches, on the floor. The mattress "topper" had slid three inches forward. Finally (!!) everything was neat and tidy again.

The very first thing I did: Attach 1) the little TV, and 2) little DVD player to electricity so the batteries will recharge. Gotta make use of the electricity I'm paying for! This lack-luster site, with electricity, is $21.00 per night. I'll sleep better with a tiny bit of heat from the electric heater. Getting up in the morning will be more enjoyable if not 53 degrees (like Wednesday at 7:30). Furthermore, it's good to get the little refrigerator on "shore power." ~~ Not knowing when the rain will return, I had to reorganize while the weather is nice.

Back to the topic of this State Park: There should be more signs directing the traveler. I was watching carefully but missed the entrance. I eventually ended up back in Seneca and had to ask directions. It's a vicious circle: The RV industry was decimated; the economy faltered and people can't afford to take vacations; the tourist industry is suffering; highways and State Parks are neglected. (Enough doom and gloom.)

On a brighter note: I'm looking West out my door and window (door side), and I can see Lake Erie. I'm hoping for a pretty sunset picture.

Hard to believe: I've only driven 416 miles from Gettysburg Campground. I only drove 30 miles today. I left McDonald's at 2:10 PM after approximately five hours using their free WiFi (with electric outlets!!). I wasn't happy with the Corning Museum of Glass pictures (published on the blog) but had to pull myself away because other things to do in the Dunkirk, NY, area. I want to visit the Dunkirk Historical Museum, and check the small town of Smith Mills.

The sunset was bright orange at 8:35-8:37 PM and I missed the picture. Watching it right now from my window. I spent half-an-hour by the edge of the lake waiting for the sun to go down. But I walked down without a coat and hat and the temperature dropped quickly. I'm numb with cold right now! Fifty-four degrees right now. Shame, shame on me for not being prepared.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
7:15 AM Thursday, 5/20/2010: B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L morning; 60 degrees inside; 58 degrees outside in shade. Here at the State Park, I used almost everything available--except the two washers and dryers. I washed dishes in the nice stainless steel "dish washing only sink." The restroom was nicer than some private campgrounds--but dirty, and cobwebs. To their credit: Plenty of hot water for a shower, lots of toilet tissue, and electric outlets for a hair dryer. I dumped the porta-potty just prior to departure.

It was almost 10 o'clock before I got out of the office. The clerk/ranger moved at a snail's pace!! To add insult to injury: The night cost me $28.75. Twenty-one for the site with 30 amp electricity; $2.75 because I hadn't made a reservation, and $5.00 BECAUSE I AM A NON-RESIDENT (of NY). Is New York State saying "Tourist go home?"

1 comment:

  1. Lorraine, in my own travels I have found that the states that have been controlled by liberal Democrats have the highest fees for tourists. For example, I took my family backpacking in Porcupine Mountains State Wilderness in Michigan. It cost me $67 a night for three nights in cabins, I had to pay a $6 reservation fee for each cabin since we stayed in different cabins each night. Then to add insult to injury I had to pay $23 for three days pass to park my car in the park! That was the most expensive backpacking trip I went on in my entire 50+ year lifespan! Then on the way home we went through Illinois and paid more in tolls than it costs to take I80 from Indiana to Pennsylvania. Someone needs to pay for the tax and spend mentality of these people.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts with me. "Thanks"!!