Saturday, May 29, 2010

Thank goodness for Panera Bread !!

It's after 10 o'clock Saturday morning and I have completed my desired task of checking e-mail and updating the blog. I've spent over ten hours in Panera Bread!! The following (below wiggly line) is similar to the blog I published at 1:04 PM yesterday May 28th, 2010. It served my purpose of advising friends and family that I am back in the U.S.--and working on my blogs. For your convenience, the following information is in sequential order. Ignore the date and time stamps on the individual blogs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Is there such a thing as WiFi withdrawal?? I haven't had WiFi since Tuesday morning, May 25th. I'm in a Panera in Rochester, New York. So much has happened since my last blog from Panera in Lockport, New York. Will I ever be able to bring you up-to-date?? I've traveled 105.5 miles today from a Sam's Club in Niagara Falls, New York--basically along State Highway 18 called the Seaway Trail. (I spent the night in the Sam's parking lot after entering the U.S. about 6:30 PM.)

Today I scribbled the following notes (but amplified them for the blog):
1) Delay at Sam's Club because the KIA battery was dead. I left the GPS plugged in and it must have drained the battery. A nice man named Randy (Sam's employee) gave me a boost. "Leaving at 8:20." 2) Praise God for favors large and small!! At 9:20 I stopped at Lazy Lakes Camping Resort--only to learn it is "for members only." The exit took me right past their dump stations so I took care of a necessary task. I'm not sure of the nearby town because my GPS has me on a series of state highways (and that's OK with me). 3) "It is dark and cloudy and a few drops of rain at 9:56, at Wilson, while en route to Olcott." 4) "Ten o'clock, at Highway 18 and seeing Lake Ontario. Twenty-nine miles from Sam's." 5) I didn't have breakfast so at Olcott I fixed tea and ate an "oatmeal-on-the-run" breakfast bar. I was in their attractive city park along the Lake so could "fix" while leaving the engine running to charge the battery. Then I drove... and found the advertised historic carousel (not open). 6) Scary experience: I jumped out to take a picture of a small lighthouse--and failed to put the KIA in park and set the brake. The car was rolling away from me!! AOK, I caught up with it!! (I don't remember ever doing a dumb stunt like that before!!) 7) Lilac bushes were laden with purple blooms!! 8) Weak sunshine at 11:00. 9) Near Carlton, an Amish farmer with team of horses plowing a field (I didn't stop). 10) In Hilton, I saw a McDonald's for the first time in a week or ten days. 11) Seventy-four degrees inside the T@B as I got out laptop computer at 12:45.

The following pictures are of Sam's Club, Olcott, and the little lighthouse.

Postscript, 7:07 PM: I'm still working on my blogs!! I've been glued to this seat in Panera for over six hours!!






2 comments:

  1. I really admire and envy you. You are a strong woman! In one of your posts, you had said that sometimes you are lonely (although it is uplifting to read that you are never alone, praise God), but if it helps, I am with you every few days to check up on your travels, and live vicariously through you. I hope that one day you make it to California, so I can offer you a place to park, "free" Wifi, and any other creature comforts of my home... =0)

    Also, if garmin drained your battery, look at the settings, and set it to auto shut off without battery power unless you specifically tell it not to. It should have been already set up for that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANKS for following my blog. I doubt I'll get back to California. I can live comfortably on my L.A. County retirement "elsewhere."

    I found the Garmin wasn't the culprit. When the trailer battery is dead..., the refrigerator was pulling power from the KIA battery. I didn't know it would do that!! Now I unplug the connection at night (although KIA & T@B are still hitched). ~~ I learn something new every day!!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts with me. "Thanks"!!