Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Postmarked Dunkirk, New York

I've been without WiFi for over two days. I left the Gettysburg Campground at 1:30 PM Sunday. I'll park tonight in a Wal-Mart parking lot in Dunkirk, NY; I already have permission. I'm in a McDonald's and hope to "catch up" with my e-mail, T@B forum, and this blog. (Thankfully, this McDonald's has electric outlets!!)

With time-on-my-hands the last two evenings, I've written letters to loved ones. The following is one example:

6:00 PM, Monday, May 17, 2010
Dear B & K,

The Corning Museum of Glass is massive!! I didn't read all the information in all the cases. I missed a couple of the demonstrations (because they overlapped). Items in the retail areas were incredibly expensive. Example: glass fruit, $30. each; key chain with one glass bead, $25.; bead bracelet $200.; fruit necklace, $950. I took pictures and will post on my blog. A red vase with art work was $6,200.00!!!! A large glass pear was $600.; a small glass pear was $265.; the companion glass apple was $1200.00. "No!! I didn't buy any souvenirs!!!" ~~ The Corning Museum of Glass application for membership form is just for the pictures. There were no postcards or DVDs for sale.

I'm in the parking lot of a Home Depot for the night. Next door (only a few feet away) Wal-Mart has signs every 50 feet saying "No overnight RV or truck parking." So I asked at The Home Depot and they said "Yes, OK to park overnight."

Last night I was parked in a Sam's Club parking lot. I bought organic salad mix, and apples, this morning (and employees had been talking about the cute trailer). In fact, the customer service young lady--here at Home Depot--said "Oh, the cute trailer with the smiley face?" Everybody notices!!

It's now 6:15 and dark with clouds. Another storm was coming this week and may bring rain tonight. I decided I wasn't going to stay in the Gettysburg Campground; too expensive. Without TV, I'm not sure of the latest news regarding the weather. A bad storm in Pennsylvania last Friday night with tornado warnings. Baseball size hail in some areas but only pea-size at the campgrounds. I'm trusting the weather won't be too severe this week as I travel toward Niagara Falls.

I'm using return address stickers from Shelby just in case some of my correspondence doesn't reach the intended family. Did I tell you that I have a 21st Century mail forwarding service? Very sophisticated!! When I receive forwarded mail (from Shelby), they e-mail me with name of sender. Most is being held until I have someplace for them to physically forward to me. Some I advise them to shred. They scan the mail if I request it scanned. Example: Edna wrote... and I was able to read her note and write back. The service is so helpful, and only $9.95 per month.

I'm tired tonight. Lots of walking today. I drove less than 100 miles from Sam's Club at Williamsport, PA, to Corning, NY. But I have lots of time so not hell-bent on number of miles driven.

Before Niagara Falls, I think I'll check the Dunkirk area. My maternal grandmother was a "Smith" and her father from Smith Mills near Dunkirk. I want to visit Smith Mills and check the Dunkirk Historical Museum.

I came through Lawrenceville, PA, this morning. Did I tell you my brother, Lawrence/ "Larry", died February 23, 2010 in Moscow, Idaho? A friend of his called to let me know. Cancer returned....

I should have tried my little TV this evening--for the news. It will operate for about an hour on the batteries. I tried last night and couldn't get any stations. I hoped I could watch Dancing With The Stars. Oops, that's tonight!! Easy to loose track of time. I also have a fairly powerful antenna. (Later.) OK, 7:00 PM and I set up antenna and TV and have six stations. NBC was poor but ABC is excellent. I have a tiny 7-inch Haier TV from Target for $79.00. I'm picking up OK with the antenna inside the trailer. I never set things outside as though I am "camping."

While I'm getting things out, I'll unroll the second sleeping bag for a sleeping bag inside a sleeping bag. I slept cold last night. It was 54 degrees inside the T@B at 6:30 AM.

8:00 AM, Tuesday, May 18, 2010. Sixty-four degrees inside T@B right now. Was 62 when I got out of bed at 6:40. It's raining hard and I'm cozy in a sweater, drinking hot tea. I'm trying to decide whether to sit here and write cards and letters OR drive on rain-wet highways. Last week I chose to "stay pot" (in Gettysburg) rather than drive on wet highways. Decision time!

I had one-and-one-half hours on the little TV last night. I can't use it again until I have electricity to recharge the battery. Come to think of it, I have a cigarette lighter converter "gizmo" (that I haven't used), that should recharge it (while I'm driving). However, I don't want to "dig" for it (in the KIA) in the rain.

IF there was a Panera Bread nearby, the decision would be easy!! I'd spend the day in Panera--on my computer. They have electric outlets available. McDonald's now advertise that they have free WiFi (but no electric outlets). I don't eat at McDonald's; I'm a vegan. I tried three McDonald's on this trip--for WiFi--and a very bad connection. So, "Nix Micky D." (Why did they get that nickname??)

I have two candles burning for a little warmth. I've been told that works. In a very dire, very cold, situation I'll pull the catalytic heater out from under the bench seat and attach a small propane tank. I used the catalytic frequently when I had the blue Class B mini-motorhome. (Had I known I would be laid off from Hallelujah Acres, I would never have sold it.)

8:30 and the rain stopped for about three minutes. I thought "good!" but my enthusiasm was premature. I can go back to the Corning Museum because my admission is good for two days. But a long walk from the RV parking lot and my umbrella is buried somewhere in the KIA. I searched last week and could not find it. 8:45 and raining so hard it sound like I'm inside a drum!! Sixty-five degrees inside the T@B.


I'll finish tonight and it will be postmarked "Dunkirk, New York."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts with me. "Thanks"!!