Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Maine (Lorraine) Madness !!

I've labored over a title for this blog. "Maine Madness" seems appropriate. And Lorraine is vacillating between being "mad" (angry) or going crazy!! The KIA wouldn't start this morning!! After yesterday's expense, I thought my problems had been resolved. Imagine my frustration this morning when the car battery was dead. I turned off the refrigerator last night--but did not disconnect the cord between the two vehicles. I checked the voltage last night and the T@B battery was fine (but I didn't want to tax it by running the refrigerator all night).

The parking lot at Borders had been my overnight location. (I was using WiFi until 8 o'clock last night.) I was less than six miles from the RV sales and service. It made sense (to me) to go back and question the RV technicians.

Bottom line: After checking everything with meters, etc., etc., they found that the new T@B battery registers at the top of the scale (very good), and the refrigerator is (only) pulling the two amps it is supposed to. I was told I'll never be able to rely on the existing setup to keep my refrigerator running on a full-time basis. I'd need a different battery for the T@B, preferably two big batteries, and a large, heavy, solar panel. The technicians kindly explained in simple language (to this old lady) that my answer was a generator. I was quick with a loud "no." However, they convinced me!! I have now added the weight, and size, of a small generator to the insane amount of things that I am hauling on this trip. The generator (inverter) was less expensive than solar and will (according to them) provide all the power I need for my dry camping. ~~ I purchased the sturdy step I've been needing (but didn't want to spend $75.00.) Please pray with me that I don't drive away and leave this step (as I've previously driven off and left two steps.) ~~ Note: Every day people are approaching me about "that cute little trailer." Gas stations, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, markets, etc., etc. I open the door, get out the step, and show them the inside. We talk... and I get in the car and forget the step. I'm not "absent minded"; I was simply distracted!!

Changing the subject: It's 1:00 PM and I've been in Borders for almost two hours. The "broadband" must not be "broad" enough for all of us using the Internet. (However these things work.) I've waited as long as ten minutes to upload one picture to this specific blog. At this rate, I just can't update the information, and pictures, for activities over the weekend. Sorry!!

I'm leaving Borders for the nearby Goodwill. I plan to park near their store and begin to pull things out of the vehicles for a donation.





2 comments:

  1. Lorraine,

    Did you have the isolation relay installed that Jerry J, suggested when you had the charge line modified? This will the T@B from drawing current from your KIA's battery when the KIA is not running. See: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/tabtrailers/message/55606

    I am enjoying your blog immensely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lorraine, you have a great blog!! Thanks for sharing the trials and joys, frustrations and successes, of living on the road with your beautiful T@B trailer.

    Tim
    Boulder, CO

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts with me. "Thanks"!!