Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Recoup and Revise



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wednesday, July 14, 2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

First, I'm at Nickerson State Park in Brewster, Massachusetts--a short fifteen miles from Sweetwater Forest Campground. I departed at 7:30 AM with this Park as a possible location to continue my stay on Cape Cod (without the major expense of $42. per night). Let me explain: Two nice ladies (Dale & Linda) visited my campsite yesterday (Tuesday) and raved about
"that cute little trailer." They recommended Nickerson versus the other parks, and beach, campgrounds. I learned there are usually a few sites on a first-come first-served basis, "Be there at 8." Later in the day (Tuesday) I found a Nickerson brochure tucked in my door.

I was second in line and I got a campsite for one night ($17.). I can seek another site tomorrow at 8. No amenities here; no electricity, water, cable TV----or WiFi. Hike to a water faucet with your container; nice restrooms; excellent showers. Beautiful "Back to Nature" camping.

My site isn't designated "pull through" but I thought I could drive between several trees and spare myself the task of backing up. The pictures tell the story: I stopped because the trailer "cut the corner" and I would have scrapped against a tree. I backed up and the KIA bumper was against a tree. It is only by God's grace that neither vehicle was damaged!!

A man and his wife came to my rescue. They only speak French but he guided me with gestures. We agreed it was best to unhitch. It was easy for three of us to maneuver the T@B. At 9:30, I was safely on my campsite.

It started raining about 9 PM Tuesday night and rained off-and-on all night. (See the standing water in the picture when I left Sweetwater Forest Campground.) It has been cloudy all day and occasionally a brief sprinkle of rain.

Second, much earlier on Wednesday, July 14th: I was up about 5:30 so I could do last-minute things. First, dump the porta-potty (in the restroom) while everyone was still in bed. Second, take a shower; third, wipe off sand and water, and coil the electric cord. For the record: 40 or 50 boys and girls rode into Sweetwater Campground on bicycles last night (for overnight camping). I wanted to access the restroom before it was invaded by teenagers!!

I hate "goodbyes"!!!!!! I departed before the few remaining fellow TaBBers were out of bed; I hope they forgive me. I had been planning for the Cape Cod T@B Rally for five or six months. My reservation was made in December (if my memory serves me correctly). I've enjoyed three months of travels--with three Teardrop Rallies. The friends were homeward bound; I have nothing on my calendar! "What do I do next? Where will I go?"

As I've indicated, I have a campsite for tonight. Best case scenario: A campsite tomorrow. I want to see more of Cape Cod but I also need to recuperate and revise my travel plans. I spent the morning reading the vast collection of literature picked up at various Visitor's Centers.

The strangest thing happened while reading the Nickerson State Park handouts. On one sheet there is an advertisement that says "Earn While You Travel! Have Fun and Make Money!" I've seen the ad before but this time it just felt "right" to call. A packet of information will be coming to me, General Delivery, Brewster, MA. If this materializes, I'll document details in a later blog. I told the potential employer
"I want a purpose driven life. This sounds like something I can do and something I'll enjoy." (Postscript, 7/20/2010: The information arrived..., I read everything..., I was ready to dedicate myself to this new project. Hear ye, hear ye: I was rejected because my T@B isn't a suitable recreation vehicle!!!!!!)

I sat under the trees and read tourist brochures; I ate a lot of the "left-over" veggies from the Saturday potluck; I took a nap. I can say that I'm beginning to "recoup" and I'm ready to "revise" my schedule.

I took a walk about 4 o'clock to see some of the area--and one of the lakes. I descended to the lake via a series of stairs but climbed back on a trail through the undergrowth. I didn't get lost; my "sense of direction" brought me up very near my T@B. I had seen the sign in the restroom--regarding Deer Ticks--and chastised myself for walking through the woods and brush.

About 5, a car stopped next to my campsite. A man got out and I walked to greet him. "Can I ask you some questions about your trailer?" "Of course. Please get your wife and come see." They had seen the article in the Sunday Cape Cod Times. Not surprising: They loved my T@B!! Perhaps I'll see them at a future T@B rally!?!?

It started to sprinkle rain while I was talking to my visitors. We stepped inside to continue the conversation. They had to dash through heavy rain to their car. It was after seven before a "light" rain. I dashed out to take the 6:45 picture; can you see all the puddles around the trailer? Rain didn't stop until 7:45; the temperature was in the low 70's most of the day and felt cold and damp ("damp" even when not raining). I wore a sweater during my walk.

I am so grateful that the weather was absolutely perfect when we visited Nantucket on Monday. The tour of the dunes--on Sunday night--would have been a dismal failure if it had rained!!












1 comment:

  1. Hi, I very much enjoy your travels since discovering you on cape cod. Just wanted to let you know that I am a library volunteer and all librarary's on cape cod have wifi available 24 hrs a day. and some have electric plug on outside. Usually can access from parking lot. Can stay inside as long as they are open. You may want to check out library's in your travels. Happy traveling. Joyce (ps, I travel with Elderhostel)

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts with me. "Thanks"!!