Thursday, October 21, 2010

Greetings from Newport, Tennessee

I've been without WiFi. I'm such a "cheapskate," I refused to pay $3. extra per day for WiFi at the Escapee's Raccoon Valley RV Park. It's a nice Park and the people are friendly!! I had dozens of visitors because my T@B is so tiny compared to their huge rigs. I socialized..., I went to Church with friends.

On Tuesday morning, I traveled less than fifty miles down the Interstate to a Christian Retreat Center with Campground. The fee was only $12. per night--and free WiFi!! The sites were quite primitive because (IMHO) no maintenance. With one of my handy-dandy gadgets, I tested the electricity at the post and it registered OK. I unhooked the KIA and T@B, attached the electric cord from the post to the T@B. Yipes!! 135 volts!! Inside my T@B, I have a voltage meter that lists low voltage, and high voltage, in red. One-hundred-fifteen to 125 registers in green (safe).

With my handy-dandy gadgets, I walked to the office and talked to the Pastor. The office also registered 135 volts and I expressed my concern. Pastor said:
"I've been here 26 years and we've never had a problem." He called Appalachian Power Company and someone assured us that "It's OK." It was suggested that my voltage meter probably had never been calibrated so it was wrong. The men were "condescending" toward me and I sensed they thought I wasn't qualified to be discussing damage caused by high and low voltage.

I walked back to the campsite and hitched the KIA and T@B--and departed (1:30 PM). (I had intended to stay ten days.) I'm a graduate of the Escapees' RVer Boot Camp; I've followed the T@B forum discussions regarding every problem imaginable. I choose to believe that too much voltage can damage my refrigerator and my wiring!! Correct me if I'm wrong.

I spent Tuesday night in the parking lot of Cracker Barrel in Pigeon Forge. I spent Wednesday night in a Wal-Mart parking lot in Newport, Tennessee. For the next two weeks I'm parked in a beautiful KOA campground in Newport. I'm a week early for the upcoming T@B rally. This is a luxury!! (But cheaper than a new refrigerator and/or wiring.) And I have free WiFi!! (Of course we can debate "free.")

I'm so thrilled to have Family Radio again (via the Internet). It was my constant companion in Campbellsville, Kentucky.

~~~~~~~~
Below: My site at Newport / Smoky Mountain KOA campground.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts with me. "Thanks"!!