Friday, October 8, 2010

Quilt Auction

Home again after a 100 mile round trip to the Galilean Children's Home near Liberty, Kentucky. ("Carmen" my Garmin GPS says 26 miles but my KIA odometer recorded 50 miles. Explain that?!)

First, a pancake breakfast in "the main house." Then, finding a seat in the school gymnasium for the quilt auction. Very beautiful quilts--but,
sadly, the sale prices were far below their true value. Due to the size of my T@B, I had no intention of buying a quilt (my sleeping bag is satisfactory for cold weather), so I didn't obtain a number. There was a table loaded with priced handiwork and I bought two small items.

Sprinkled in the audience were "buyers" (retailers) who will resell at exorbitant prices. The visitors were mainly Amish and Mennonite, with a few German Baptist Brethren. I heard "Pennsylvania Dutch" spoken all around me by the Amish
("Pennsylvania Dutch": decades-old altering of their original German language). From their manner of dress, I knew many of the other attendees came from an Amish, Mennonite and German Baptist Brethren heritage. Yours truly was wearing a long skirt, long sleeve blouse with high neck, dark blue sweater. Nobody was wearing shorts; maybe only one or two women wearing jeans.

When the auction was over, I introduced myself to several German Baptist Brethren "cousins." I recognize them from their unique garb; they recognize me when I tell them my maiden name is "Frantz." (I published the definitive genealogy titled
Frantz Families--Kith & Kin which includes most German Baptist Brethren families.) ~~ In the late afternoon, I had an enjoyable visit with seven "cousins."

The cousins and I took a tour of the facility. To my delight, Linda--at the Angel House--remembered me by name (from my visit ten days ago).

~~~~~~~~~~~
Pictures: I believe the ministry expanded from "the main house"; #8 of Jerry Tucker, co-founder of the ministry; #9, Jerry welcomes the audience; #23, Medina's rug sells for $100.!! ~~ Please see Medina (blind) in my pictures, and blog, dated Sept. 29th. ~~ Only a few of the quilts are pictured.






















































2 comments:

  1. That looks like fun! I picked out one from your pictures; wish I had been there! Will have to send a link to my two quilting cousins in upstate NY. D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely quilts, it is so nice to see needlework still being done these days. I am from Ohio so I am familiar with the Amish community. Sometimes, I think we could learn a thing or two from their simple lifestyle.

    I see that you have put your newfound computer talents to good use on your blog, it looks wonderful. I hope you enjoy your workamp experience, it sounds exciting. I enjoy following your travels, you see so many places that are of interest to me and I appreciate you sharing them with us. Your hard work is appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts with me. "Thanks"!!