Saturday, April 17, 2010

I love Lake Powhatan !!

I'll repeat an oft-repeated lament: "I get lost every time I drive around Asheville!" Thursday was no exception. Frankly, I had no idea where I was!! (I planned to drive to Walmart.) When I saw an entrance to the Blue Ridge Parkway, I was in familiar territory. Eventually I arrived at the Forest Service campground at Lake Powhatan. I spent several days there last August--and love it. There were many improvements over the Fall and Winter months including new, very modern restrooms and showers. Improved sites now include electricity. With my Golden Age Pass I paid $7.50 per night last year; with my Golden Age Pass I paid $15.00 per night this year. So I paid $7.50 per day so the refrigerator could keep my few groceries cold!! (Big grin.) The showers were wonderful!! Punching the little button every thirty seconds, I took twenty minute showers.

On Friday I sat at the picnic table and wrote a long letter to a cousin. Later I used a product to clean and wax the T@B. I removed the bugs that the truck wash missed! I'll be honest: It was a lazy day and I loved every minute!!

I consolidated and rearranged things in the T@B. I need to find a way to secure things so I don't open the door (after traveling) and find everything jumbled in a heap on the floor. Today I'm trying a 25 foot Bungee-type cord (purchased Thursday at Harbor Freight in Asheville). I'm looping around handles so items stay on the bed; I'm anchoring the hooks around the table. FYI: I didn't need the full 25 feet; the cord is adjustable.

All day Friday, I was reminded of the poem by Joyce Kilmer: "Trees."
I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.
A tree who looks at God all day
And lifts her leafy arms to pray.
Sorry, I've forgotten the remainder of the poem (memorized decades ago [grin] in my youth). The campsite was a very worshipful setting.





























































Before I departed the campgrounds, I took care of the housekeeping chore of dumping the "just for emergencies" porta-potty. A lady, walking a dog, admired the trailer and (of course) wanted to see inside. We talked for an extended period of time; she wants to "see the country." Last: I prepared my lunch in the parking lot overlooking Lake Powhatan. Then I hiked down to the lake. Trust me, it's a long walk down to the lake!!

For the record: I've driven less than 300 miles since leaving my apartment in Shelby on Monday, April 5th.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts with me. "Thanks"!!