Thursday, April 22, 2010

"Thoroughly Modern Millie." Not !!

My new friends, in Asheville, took this picture with their camera--and forwarded it to me. That's exactly the way I look this Thursday morning (picture was taken Sunday evening). For the record: I have three outfits that are exactly alike; I'm not wearing the same clothes four or five days later. Furthermore: I've lost some "belly fat" since I bought several pair of black slacks (for my travels). Now the hems drag the ground!!

Thoroughly modern Millie?? Not!! No fancy diet like celebrities who push their products on TV; just increased exercise the last couple of months. Frankly, I'm eating less, too, because I'm not conscious of "breakfast, lunch and dinner."

Thoroughly modern Millie?? Not!! I don't rent movies!! I buy the DVD several years after the movie was released to the theaters. Last night I watched "RV" with Robin Williams--on my little Sony DVD player (battery operated). "RV": How long; four years?? That movie has a smile a minute!! ~~ The previous night I watched "The Bucket List."

Thoroughly modern Millie?? Not!! In the retail store, at Tom Johnson Camping Center, I talked to a man who paid $1,000. for his first GPS system. I paid less than $200. two days (three days?) ago. So many expensive gadgets for the RVer but nothing I couldn't live without!!

Thoroughly modern Millie?? Not!! I don't have one of those convenient, expensive, attachments for the laptop so I can access the Internet via satellite. I'm back in the lobby of Tom Johnson Camping Center using their free WiFi, and charging my cell phone. I spent less than $3. for breakfast so Tom Johnson won't get rich off of me. I'm surrounded by people who own extremely large, beautiful, Class A motorhomes. I'm embarrassed to tell them that I have the tiny trailer in the parking lot. On the bright side, I'm not here for RV repairs!! Many of the folks sitting in this beautiful lobby are waiting on repairs for their motorhome. Very few RVs in the campground; maybe it is too early in the season?!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Postscript, 5:30 PM: In the space of a few hours I shifted from Tom Johnson Camping Center to Doug Johnson private retreat (distant cousins). I met Doug and Linda at "Singing on the Mountain" (Grandfather Mountain) on June 28, 2009. We kept in touch, and we had a subsequent visit on July 29, 2009. I phoned yesterday and we made plans for lunch today. After lunch, I followed Linda to their home (approximately seven miles from Wal-Mart). Within minutes I had electricity from their big workshop. Immediately thereafter I was told to grab my dirty clothes so "we" could do some laundry. I have been encouraged to stay in the guest room but plan to stick with "Mercedes"(my tiny travel trailer).

I repeat what I said on April 18th: "Sometimes I have to pinch myself to see if I'm awake or is it a dream." Everyone is so eager to share! I'm having to learn to receive. Twice recently I've told a story I heard (probably in Church).
An individual died and went to Heaven. Jesus was showing them everything--far and wide. Finally He took the individual to their mansion. Inside were beautifully wrapped boxes of all sizes and shapes. Imagine the most elaborate wrapping and decorations. When the individual inquired "What's all this?" Jesus said, "These are all the gifts we wanted to give you while you were still on earth. You never unwrapped them."
Then I add this postscript to the story: "You are one of those God-given gifts that I've been privileged to unwrap while still here on earth! Thank you!!" ~~ In the last ten days: Deborah & Wayne, Janna & Steve, Linda & Doug.

I'm on Linda's computer adding the postscript. I have pictures to add but don't know how to upload while on someone else's computer. Where would I store the pictures??

1 comment:

  1. Lorraine, for adding uploading pictures from someone elses computer a card reader or a USB drive work well. Either can be had for around $10 on sale. Regards, Joe

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts with me. "Thanks"!!