Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Fish Creek Pond - June 9, 2010

Written Wednesday, June 9th, 2010: It's 10:40 and I'm cold; my feet are numb; 63 degrees inside T@B. Because of a headache (lack of glasses), I took a nap for an hour with a blanket over me. Now I'm up and heating water for tea and have the heater on. Sad to say: I can't handle "cold weather."

Finally, at 10:50, a little sunshine. Maybe it will warm up outside? Eleven o'clock and sun is terribly weak. Three campsites down, a man has a boat at the edge of the lake. He is wearing shorts!!

11:10: The heater feels so good! My feet and legs are almost warm. There's a saying that goes something like this: "If you haven't used it for a year, get rid of it." As I recall, the catalytic heater hasn't been used since 2004. It was purchased in 2001, in Bend, Oregon. It was the 4th of July holiday and I didn't want to be on-the-road with holiday drivers. I was in the parking lot of a Wal-Mart; it was blazing hot and the only shade was cast by a large Class-A motorhome. I got acquainted with my fellow travelers and we talked for hours. Imagine this: Their home was Rosamond, California--about 15 miles from my home in Lancaster. I was told about the merits of a Coleman catalytic heater and advised that a Wal-Mart competitor (Fred Meyer) had them on sale. Thus my off-season purchase. The propane bottles are remnants of a large supply of California "Earthquake Preparedness." I had enough for myself and everyone in my neighborhood (LOL). I only included three propane canisters when I packed the T@B several months ago. More propane with all my personal possessions (in storage).

In an earlier blog I told about using an old Army folding shovel to dig myself out of the mud at Cloudland Canyon State Park, Georgie. I've hauled that old folding shovel for years--and thousands of miles--and used it once. So-o-o-o-o, I keep things "because I might need it someday." Know what I mean? (LOL)

Another true story: I had a nice small electric hot plate among my camping supplies, for years. Getting ready for this trip, I couldn't locate it. I must have included it with all the items donated to Thrift Shops. Consequently, I bought a new one at K-Mart, in Asheville, NC, in April.

11:40 and the thermometer on the table next to me says 76 degrees. The heater is off and my feet and legs are cold again. Time to take a walk and stimulate them?!?! No sunshine; overcast.

12:40 and 69 degrees outside. I've been struggling to get the trailer off the KIA. No success. Plus I've washed some of the fresh veggies. A neighbor lady (five or eight spaces away) stopped to admire the T@B. She, too, is unhappy about the cold weather.

1:35 and 75 degrees outside. I've just spent half-hour visiting with Mark and his wife Pat. They have been kayaking all morning and paddled up when they saw me. I still had part of a bell pepper in my hand because I had just finished an ear of corn, a tomato, and bell pepper for lunch. Yum!!

3:20 and I've just eaten again. Maybe from frustration--or boredom?!?! I've worked on reorganization. Out came a few things; away with others. Example: Out came the perfume because the showers are a substantial distance away--and need to be fed quarters. Out came my orange beret (hat) because my hair doesn't look good if not fresh washed, blown dry and slightly curled with a curling iron.

It's dark and gloomy, and looks like it will rain any moment. I've had visitors. Three mallard ducks are under foot begging for food. (Can't feed them!) A man named "Jack" drove by and stopped to admire the T@B. We had a nice conversation. -- I need to find my umbrella!!

4:50 and 60 degrees outside. I've been down the road visiting with a T@B that arrived this afternoon. I didn't knew they were here until a brief walk. They came in from another entrance and didn't know I was here either.

6:00 and 64 degrees inside. I was invited to a neighboring campsite moments after I returned from visiting with the T@BBers. I was fixing hot tea... and then joined the couple (Rosalee and Ron). BUT, I was thoroughly cold with my coat, and a blanket over my legs, and hot tea. I came home when it started to rain. I don't know outside temperature but 64 degrees inside. So I lit the heater. Next time: gloves!

Today I've visited with Mark and Pat (with old-fashioned teardrop), Burt and Karen with a T@B, and Rosalee and Ron (with a tent. Imagine the number of people to visit with before the week is over. It's almost 7 o'clock and raining. No sunset to watch tonight. I have not decided what to do with my evening. I can't read (since I broke my glasses) so may watch a DVD to pass time. The movies are in the KIA and I don't want to shift things around to get to them (in the rain). If I watch... it will be "Life Goes On," a TV series from the 1970's.

Life goes on!! I've gotten through a day without my glasses. I've been cold but got out my coat and hat. For me, today, it has been "in the slow lane." Instead of TV, I heard the mummer of the trees and rain on the roof. Ducks at my feet, robins near by. The green trees that I enjoy so much would not be green if not for repeated showers. The lake that I'm watching might not exist if this area did not have snow in the winter. Cold--and rain--is the price I'm paying to camp in this corner of the world that God my Heavenly Father created. Excuse me for waxing philosophical. I'm grateful for the gifts God has given me!!

I propped up with pillows, inside two sleeping bags (like a cocoon) and watched a DVD for three hours. I was already "in bed" so I'll say I went "to sleep" shortly after ten.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts with me. "Thanks"!!