Thursday, June 3, 2010

Taughannock Falls

From my handwritten notes: "It's 7:30 Thursday morning June 3rd and I've just studied the New York state map. To my dismay, I've detoured drastically from my original intended course. I had planned to follow the Seaway Trail (State highway 104) along Lake Ontario. I wanted to explore the Saint Lawrence Seaway prior to heading for the Teardrop rally at Saranac Lake.

At the South Shore RV Park, Sodus Point, NY, I met a delightful couple from Germany. When I saw their pictures of Taughannock Falls I decided I wanted to see them too. In a manner of speaking: My original plans went out the window! So I traveled from Sodus Point to Ithaca (111 miles) on State highways in the 'Finger Lakes Region.' It was amazing (to me) that Taughannock Falls existed when I had been driving through low rolling hills."

When I left Barnes & Noble last night (en route to Wal-Mart for free overnight parking) I spotted a Panera Bread. It was not listed when I checked the GPS several times yesterday. I was back at 6:30 this morning--only to learn they are so new they aren't even open yet!! I think it's amusing that I'm such a fan of Panera I find them before they've opened for business.

I'm back in Barnes & Noble using their free WiFi. I confess that it's nice to have a new setting. Comfortable chairs, pleasant music....

At this writing, I am mystified about my route from Ithaca. I may revisit my original plan and not lament about the 200 miles detour to see Taughannock Falls. Look at it this way: I'm helping the economy with my tourist dollars!!

It was late evening, and cloudy, so my pictures are not spectacular. I hiked a trail to the top of the Falls; returned for the vehicles and drove to the second falls. It was impossible to get a picture from the front of the second falls. In one picture you see the top of the falls and a highway bridge. Then you see a picture taken sideways with the camera held out over the edge of an old pedestrian bridge. (Scary, because I don't like heights!!)


























1 comment:

Please share your thoughts with me. "Thanks"!!