Saturday, June 26, 2010

Lake Champlain sunset

I was on campsite #84 at 2:45 PM, Friday, June 25th. Twenty-five dollar fee, no electricity and no water--but OK. I was able to "pull through" because the site behind was not occupied yet. I napped for half or three-quarters hour (in my lawn chair, under shade from the trees). Then a man with a dog stopped to visit. During the lengthy conversation, he told me "the best place in Vermont" to take pictures of the sunset. The "best place" required a half-mile walk through a forested area to a projection of land into the lake.

4:20 PM and 82 degrees inside T@B. ~~ 5:05 and 77 degrees outside. About the time I put out the thermometer, it clouded over and became quite overcast. I wrote in my notes:
"Perhaps we won't have a beautiful sunset!?!? I came to this State Park/Beach specifically for some sunset pictures!!"

5:27 PM and started to sprinkle; 74 degrees outside. Fortunately, I had just gotten numerous things moved back inside.

7:30 and 73 degrees inside. From my notes:
"Although I was told of the awesome sunsets from the point of land that jets into the lake, I believe I'll stay closer to camp. I was told it is a hike through a heavily forested area. OK, even with a flash light, it might be difficult to follow something identified as 'a small trail,' in the dark. This old lady tries to 'be sensible' and may have to settle for less than 'the best sunset [location] in the State of Vermont.'"

Fortunate for me, a couple from New Zealand, in an adjoining campsite, wanted to experience the sunset and we took the hike together. With the recent rains, there were marshy areas with hundred of mosquitoes. We were juicy targets for the mosquitoes!! Someone--in months (or years) past--placed planks through some of the muddy areas. If not... we would have been in mud up to our ankles!! Michael, Wendy and I agreed that the hike, and discomforts, were worth it for the view. Not a beautiful sunset--but a spectacular view. A "bonus": The moon was full, and orange in color, over Burlington. Unfortunately, I couldn't capture the scene with my camera. (After all, it's only a $100. camera from a Shelby Pawn Shop.) The gate was closed and locked when we returned to camp (after 9 o'clock). We were able to lay on the ground and slide underneath.

























No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts with me. "Thanks"!!