Thursday, June 17, 2010

Greetings from Burlington, Vermont

Specifically, greetings from a very large Barnes & Noble in South Burlington, Vermont. I had all the rain I could tolerate--in the Adirondack Mountains--and headed further East. I asked Carmen (my handy Garmin) for Panera Bread and none within convenient driving distance. When I asked for Barnes & Noble, I was directed here--a distance of 58 miles. But I've had a very interesting morning.

I had been allowed to park overnight at the extreme rear of the parking lot at McDonald's in Lake Placid. However, the manager said "But you have to be out in the early morning." I departed at 6:00 AM (was that early enough?). I had planned to write a positive comment about WiFi at McDonald's (with electric outlets) but was annoyed by the comment. Enough said?!

I had breakfast at the nearby Howard Johnson's Restaurant. One of the two existing Howard Johnson's. Literature inside (rightly) says Howard Johnson Hotels & Restaurants were a landmark for travelers (for decades). I had their pancakes made with banana bread batter. Yum yum!!

"Carmen" directed me on small secondary highways to the Ferry at Essex, New York. (Yesterday, being on a Ferry, crossing Lake Champlain, never crossed my mind.) From Lake Placid... it never stopped raining; the windshield wipers were going constantly!! I had decided, over breakfast, that I'd seek a friendlier atmosphere to work on updating my blog. Barnes & Noble is quiet, and I'm reasonably comfortable. There are no tables to spread out my notebooks and maps but I'm out of the rain.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Postscript, 1:35 PM: What's that?? Sunshine?? Maybe, but I won't hold my breath!!





































No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts with me. "Thanks"!!