Monday, June 21, 2010

Mt. Philo State Park

Before I left Shelburne Museum, in Shelburne, Vermont, it was suggested that I might like to camp overnight at Mt. Philo State Park (a short five or six miles distance). I missed the little road turnoff and had to retrace my route. At the entrance... a young man affirmed that there were campsites available. $20. I failed to check the odometer but I think two miles to the camping area. It was all twisting, steep, narrow road; I was in first gear all the way up the mountain. The young man at the gate should have turned me away.

I tried--unsuccessfully--to back into the site assigned me. I was stuck on a dead end dirt road and no way to turn around. I struggled (!!!) for ten minutes to back in to a less threatening site. When--finally--reasonably straight, I resolved not to move another inch. I was at a precarious angle; trees and shrubbery almost touching the trailer on either side. On the
map, click site number seven and note that it is a tent site. Likewise, my assigned site (number one) is a tent site.

When I heated a can of soup--in a shallow pan--the soup was at the rim on one side and the pan was bare on the other!!

In an earlier blog I stated that Fish Creek Pond State Park was "primitive." No, that Park had a paved road and nice large spaces. This was primitive!! I expected to see a bear, or a deer, in the brush and trees just outside my door.

At 7:10 PM it was 82 degrees inside the T@B. I took a hike to the restrooms and showers. Talk about "primitive": They don't have flush toilets here.

When I documented the details I wrote,
"I'm not complaining: I like the challenges. Earlier today I saw a large exhibit of quilts with stories identifying the remembered family member suffering from Alzheimer's Disease. What a sad, sad situation for the individual and their loved ones. Heartbreaking stories!! I hope, and pray, Alzheimer's doesn't rob me of the memories regarding my many travels--and many experiences."

Later I asked the question (of myself):
"Is it safe to leave the windows open at night? Would a bear tear through the screens to gain entrance for food? I have peaches, apples, bananas, and a variety of nuts. To be safe, I'll close the windows and open the vent. Frankly, I felt more secure in the parking lot of Hannaford Market (yesterday) or Wal-Mart, etc. Here: Total isolation!"

7:37 PM and it started to rain so I had to close the vent on the roof of the trailer. From my notes:
"'Sunset' isn't until an hour from now (8:40) but it is quite dark here in the woods. I haven't enough light for reading or writing cards and letters. (I can scribble notes in the dark [LOL!].) Eighty degrees with the trailer all closed up!!"

I was up at 6:40 AM; bright sunshine; 70 degrees. Honestly, it was difficult to get out of bed because of the angle!! No other campers in sight; maybe none in the other seven or eight sites?!?! ~~ Off to the shower room where I had to feed quarters into the machine!! ~~ Fortunately, I had been given the combination for the padlock on the gate so I was able to exit at my convenience. (See next to last picture.)






















No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts with me. "Thanks"!!