Monday, June 21, 2010

So much to see !!

It was Father's Day. I enjoyed "gourmet" Vermont herbed potato salad, and Green Mountain coffee, at the Cafe located on the grounds of Shelburne Museum. I pretended I was part of the family having a boisterous good time at the picnic tables under the awning. In my imagination: Those were my sons, and grandchildren, celebrating the holiday with their aging mother.

The large house contains several rooms meticulously moved from the New York City penthouse of
Electra Havemeyer Webb and is home to the Museum's European Paintings Collection. "In the basement of the Electra Havemeyer Webb Memorial Building, there is a collection of 19th and 20th century American bronzes. It features work by such western artists as Charles Russell and Harry Jackson; these artists, who often served as cowhands and guides of the western plains, modeled their work after real people and personal experiences. Their bucking broncos, cowboys, and portraits of Native Americans are romantic interpretations of a vanishing American west."

If I recall correctly: I first saw the image of "The End of the Trail" carved from a piece of giant Redwood, at a location in the Redwoods of Northern California. Perhaps the year was 1977 or 1978!?!? I've been blessed to travel from coast to coast!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Even with "second day" free admission, I failed to see all the exhibits!! The artifacts are endless; I only took a few pictures. As much as I wished to see the collections in their entirety, I wasn't going to buy another day's admission. My travel dollars will only go so-o-o-o-o far.









































No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts with me. "Thanks"!!